Catching a bluefish is one of the most exciting inshore battles on the water that everyone needs to experience. These top 5 Topwater Lures for Bluefish will guarantee you always connect and land this fast running summer gamefish.
Just because your tackle box is filled with lures doesn’t mean you are going to catch. Knowing which lure to use is the secret. I will help you build a simple affordable arsenal to always catch a fish.
Catching Saltwater Bluefish is Easy!!
I like to keep it simple when it comes to catching fish. Below I will give you a list of my 5 favorite topwater fishing lures for catching a blue fish as well as my favorite blue fish rod and reel. Let’s get started!!
Best Affordable Fishing Lures for Bluefishing:
These 5 lures are also the best topwater lures for any saltwater fishing, not just bluefish.
- Lucky Craft Sammy 115 Flake Flake Golden Sexy Minnow 5/8 Ounce – this one is irresistible to Bluefish – the most expensive..but worth it..
- Rebel Lure Pop-R Topwater Popper Fishing Lure – Bluefish love a white tail..this one is super affordable!
- Heddon Super Spook Topwater Lure – Red and White – Favorite color of Bluefish, also budget friendly..
- Yo-Zuri R1371-HGM Mag Popper (F) 160Mm 6-1/4″ – Makes an amazing splash…
Rapala Skitter Pop – Can you say Fish On!!
An 8 Inch stainless steel Hemostat works great for removing hooks from the mouth of bluefish or any other species of fish.
I recommend a fish lip gripper tool. Bluefish have very sharp teeth so you want to keep your hands and fingers as far away as possible from the jaws. You can grab them with a cotton rag and hold them gently from the middle as well if you don’t have a lip gripper tool.
Early summer until late fall. Watch for the birds dipping into the water, that is usually a sign there is some activity as well as bait balling up on the surface and jumping out of the water.
Best Tool for De Hooking Bluefish
Best Tool for Picking up a Saltwater Bluefish
Watch the Video Demonstration on How Fish a Topwater Lure..
Need a Rod and Reel? Best Affordable Spinning Reel Combo…
- PENN Pursuit III & Pursuit IV Spinning Reel and Fishing Rod Combo – Best rod for surf fishing, boat fishing and kayak fishing. Very versatile and wallet friendly.
- Bluefish have extremely sharp razor like teeth. They can slice through fishing line very easily. I recommend adding a Fluorocarbon leader, which is basically a 3 foot piece of extra strength fishing line tied to your lure and attached to your fishing line just in case the fish misses the lure and bites the line. It should help prevent the line from getting cut off and losing that brand new lure you just purchased.
Best Cheap Fluorocarbon Leader:
Seaguar Blue Label Fluorocarbon Fishing Line Leader
For tips and tricks on finding the Best Fishing Spots check out all my Backwater Secrets Here…